Discovery Bible Reading – For Mums and Dads
Discovery Bible Reading involves the simple process of prayerfully reading aloud or together a passage of scripture and discovering Jesus truth as a group.
Below you will find downloadable video clips and resources including Discovery Bible Reading Bookmarks in various languages, the the Discovery Bible Reading Guide which can be handed out, and a PowerPoint presentation for leaders and presenters to use when explaining or leading large/multiple groups in the process.
How to Lead a Discovery Bible Reading
- Friends meet to read stories of Jesus (the gospel of Mark is a good start).
- One person prays: “Dear God, please guide us. Thank You.”
- Start at the beginning, reading one story at a time.
- Read each story through twice, then retell the story in your own words.
- Discuss the story using 5 questions:
- What is new?
- What surprises you?
- What don’t you understand?
- What will you obey or apply?
- What will you share with someone this week?
- Plan when to meet and read again.
- Pray for each other, something like: “Dear God, thank You for Your Word. Help us to follow You. Amen.”
Ideas and Suggestions
• If you don’t understand something, don’t argue—you will read more!
• Invite other people to join you.
• Give each person a bookmark.
• Encourage others to form groups.
When You Meet Again
You could ask:
- Who have you met or caught up with?
- What two things did you learn?
- How did we go applying the insights?
- How did we go sharing?
Then continue to the next story!
This process enables the Holy Spirit to speak from the inspired Word into the heart and life of the believer. In this way the Word of God becomes alive and powerful. It’s truth not only becomes lodged in a persons mind but incarnate in their lives.
Click here to download the bookmarks (available in different languages).